Victoria Genealogical Society (VGS)
VGS MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
PART 1 - COMPLETE MEMBERSHIP FORM
* required fields
ABOUT VGS MEMBERSHIPS
The VGS membership year runs from July 1 to June 30. (Payments received in May and June will be applied to the next membership year.)
To become a VGS member, please complete and submit a registration form (use the online registration form on the left, OR our paper membership form). You also need to pay the applicable fees (see payment options below).
Fees depend on the membership category and the time of year you are joining:
* Family membership is defined as membership of TWO people of a family unit living at the same address, who shall receive one copy of each issue of the VGS Journal that is published during their term of membership. They both shall be entitled to all of the other privileges of an individual member. (VGS Bylaw Article 1.3b)
PAYMENT & SUBMISSION OPTIONS
VGS membership fees are payable in Canadian dollars, payable by cash, cheque or money order (payable to the Victoria Genealogical Society),OR online using your credit card or PayPal account.
To pay online, please complete the registration form on the left, and you will automatically be taken to the VGS membership payment page when you press "Submit Now".
If you chose to pay by cash, cheque or money order, please deliver your payment (and completed paper VGS membership form , if used) to the VGS Resource Centre, OR to the VGS monthly speaker series events, OR mail to:
Victoria Genealogical Society
Questions about VGS Membership? Email our Membership Director at email@example.com
BENEFITS OF VGS MEMBERSHIP
- Victoria Genealogical Society (VGS) is a great place to meet people who truly care about history and families; people who can teach you wonderful lessons about research and history. You can work directly with these people, learn from them, and help each other as you search for your family.
- Free access is provided to the VGS genealogical Resource Centre and its collections. These include the BC Vital Statistics records on microfilm (BC births, marriages, deaths), information on local history, and books, maps, periodicals, working papers and CDs of genealogical interest (re: Canada, the UK, Eire, the US and other countries). Microfiche/film readers and computers are also available. A nominal fee for each printed page applies. Further information on our collections can be found on our resources and queries pages.
- Free access to the www.ancestry.com library edition at the VGS Resource Centre.
- Free wireless connection to the internet (bring your laptop and your flash drive) at the VGS Resource Centre..
- Monthly speaker series events featuring speakers on a variety of topics concerning genealogy, history, and heritage and many more topics.
- Free parking at our Resource Centre and for our monthly Speaker Series events.
- Contact with other researchers who will share information and ideas.
- Opportunity to join one or more of our SIGs - Special Interest Groups - where members with similar interests and research objectives participate in small, focused meetings and discussions.
- Vote at the Annual General Meeting for the VGS Executive (volunteer positions filled from the general membership) - we are a volunteer run organization.
- Receive our VGS Journal (currently available in digital pdf or printed formats). Members are encouraged to submit stories about their family research.
- Reduced fees for Seminars and Workshops offered by VGS.
- Free posting of surnames in our Members Surname Interest Index on this website - connect with others researching the same surnames.
- Members helping members: participate in our Subject Matter Enthusiast (SME) service - sign up to help others, and/or request help from fellow members
- Free opportunities to volunteer and contribute. VGS members are encouraged to participate in ongoing VGS projects, programs and services. VGS is always looking for people with all kinds of talents, or people with a little or more time to do all kinds of tasks. Can you organize, answer phones, research data? Are you interested in transcribing documents, indexing, raising money, promoting the group? How about volunteering at the VGS Resource Centre and meet others who enjoy genealogy? Whatever your talents and interests, VGS can use them. Please contact us if you can help out.
- Reduced membership fees for families and/or youth (25 and under).