VICTORIA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY (VGS)
~ WE COVER THE WORLD ~
The Victoria Genealogy Society (VGS) is a non-profit, volunteer-run
founded in Victoria, BC, Canada in 1978.
OUR MISSION: To support and promote family history research in Victoria,
across Canada and around the world.
VGS welcomes both young and old, beginners and advanced genealogists,
and family history research queries from both near and far.
VGS is BLAZING ANCESTRAL TRAILS -
VIDEO first aired March 2012 on Shaw TV
Are you interested in researching your heritage and family tree?
Are you looking for others who share your enthusiasm for genealogy?
Are you looking for resources and help with your genealogy research?
VGS MISSION, VISION, VALUES and AIMS
To support and promote family history research in Victoria, across Canada and around the world.
To be recognized as a valued leader and partner in the research, education, and preservation of genealogy and heritage.
- We believe that our members and volunteers are the heart of our society;
- We believe that the lives of our ancestors should be respected;
- We believe that an understanding of the past can build inclusiveness and tolerance;
- We believe that everyone's life deserves to be remembered;
- We believe that mentoring, and sharing research successes and failures, can benefit others;
- We believe in embracing both genealogy best practices and evolving technology.
- Further the study of genealogy in the various areas of interest to the members;
- Collect and preserve, by donation or purchase, materials relevant to such genealogical study;
- Advance and encourage public knowledge of genealogical resources in the Greater Victoria area;
- Encourage and instruct members in the ethical principles, scientific methods, and effective techniques of genealogical research;
- Publish and distribute printed and other materials to further the aims of the Society;
- Raise funds for any of the foregoing aims and to accept donations, gifts, legacies and bequests, and;
- Enter into friendly relations with other Societies having similar or related aims in BC, other parts of Canada, or in other countries, and cooperate with them in promotion of our common interests.
VGS Constitution, Bylaws & Executive
As a non-profit organization, the Victoria Genealogical Society is registered with the Province of British Columbia, and as such must comply with the Societies Act. In addition, VGS is also a charity registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
In compliance with these requirements, the Victoria Genealogical society has registered its constitution and bylaws, which can be downloaded below as a PDF document, or obtained from the VGS Resource Centre.
VGS Constitution and Bylaws -
to download in PDF format
The VGS Executive positions and names are listed on our contact page. These Directors are responsible for the operations of the VGS Society and Charity.
Support the Victoria Genealogical Society
Your support is needed to help the Victoria Genealogical Society (VGS). At the present time, the Society is not receiving gaming funds from the Province of British Columbia, Canada because the Province has decided that no grants will go to adult cultural organizations this year. In the past, funds from this source took care of almost half of Society annual expenditures.
The Victoria Genealogical Society is a non-profit volunteer society, and is also a charity registered with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Donations to the Society are eligible for an official receipt for taxation purposes, which can be used to obtain a credit to offset personal income tax owing to the federal government. See the CRA Charities and Giving page for our VGS charity status with the CRA.
Donations to the Victoria Genealogical Society can be made by mail, by hand delivery of cash or cheques, or online by credit card by PayPal account:
- Donations by cheque may be mailed to:
Victoria Genealogical Society,
100 – 180 Wilson Street
PO Box 45015, Westside PO
Victoria, BC, Canada V9A 0C3
- Cash or cheques may also be given to the Treasurer or any member of the VGS Executive at the monthly general meetings, or left at the front desk of the Resource Centre.
- Online by credit card OR PayPal account:
THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THE VICTORIA GENEALOGICAL
SOCIETY IN THE PAST
AND WHO KEEP ON GIVING. OUR GRATITUDE IS SINCERE AND HEARTFELT!
Please visit our donors appreciation page.